Dinnington Town 0 Liversedge 4

Saturday 9th August 2008
Dinnington Town 0 Liversedge 4
Kool Sport Northern Counties East League Premier Division at Phoenix Park
Attendance: 114
Weather: showers and sun

The 2008/09 season is a momentous one for Dinnington Town. It is their centenary season and they will compete in the Premier Division of the Kool Sport Northern Counties East League for the first time, following two tremendous promotions in three seasons. However, the result of this opening fixture didn’t quite go to script as visitors Liversedge won with two goals in each half.

Though Dinnington Town was founded in 2000, football in the town dated back to 1908 with the Dinnington Main entered the Hartland Cup League. A number of Dinnington teams followed before the present club was formed and joined the Central Midlands League. After two season in the Premier Division they moved up to the higher Supreme Division for the start of the 2002/03 season and soon after they moved to the current ground. They were Supreme Division runners-up for the consecutive seasons between 2003 and 2006 and gained promotion to the Northern Counties East League in 2006. Dinnington finished their first season in ninth in Division One and last season finished as Champions to gain promotion into the Premier Division.

Though the rain made the drive up the A38 and M1 not to pleasant, I found the ground relatively easily. From M1 Junction 31, follow A57 towards Worksop before turning left (B6463) at the lights by the Red Lion Inn. Continue along the B6463, ignoring any left turns to Dinnington, until the roundabout by the Jet garage and Monk’s Bridge Farm pub. Take the B6060 (signed Dinnington and Anston), then turn left into what is the continuation of Outgang Lane and the ground is on the left by the Resource Centre. There is a car park. For public transport, there is a stop opposite which has a timetable for buses to/from Worksop (18, 19, 19A, 19B) and Rotherham (23) but I did also spot a 23A (Sheffield) going south down Laughton Road.

Emerging through the turnstile where programmes were sold (£1), the ground is orientated north-south. The entrance is around half-way and on this near side are two areas of covered standing (each with a bench) spaced out one in each half as well as a tea bar serving hot and cold drinks and snacks. Behind the right-hand touchline is a seated stand containing about 60 black tip-up seats in three rows. Teams were announced over the tannoy as the teams entered the field.

There was quite a bit to read in the 28-page programme. Inside the predominantly yellow cover showing last season's team celebrating the Division One title, there were pen picture and a history from both sides, clubs news and several other interesting features like a quick quiz. 'Town Talk' mentioned several members of last season’s squad had left the club and several current players had picked up injuries in pre-season.

With Dinnington choosing to attack the bowling green end of Phoenix Park, Liversedge got the game under way and opened the scoring in the 4th minute. Dale Wright delivered a free-kick from the right into a populated area and defender Steve Hollingworth glanced a header into the bottom left corner of the net.

The game started in drizzle and home fans vocally encouraged their team: "C'Mon Town" and "Get it in't box" were the cries from the sidelines.

Midway through the first half, Town unsuccessfully appealed for a penalty when Liam Cartledge went down inside the area. The home side almost levelled in the 27th minute. Michael Blythen found Cartledge on the left who crossed into the area. Gavin Allott got in a close-range header which Liversedge keeper Lee Ashforth managed to hold.

Mark Toyne pushed over a long-range dipping punt forward by Wright but arguably could have done better to prevent the visitors doubling their advantage in the 39th minute. The keeper failed to hold Chris Hanley’s long-range drive and Luke Sheridan slotted home the loose ball.

I watched most of the first half from underneath the covered terrace but moved to the pitch barrier before the interval. A blustery wind became evident which wasn't noticeable at all in my previous protected standing position.

Moments before the half-time whistle, Matt Haigh limped off and was replaced at the start of the second half.

The games resumed in sunshine and Dinnington looked to put Liversedge under pressure; David Frederick headed wide at the near post.

Being close to Sheffield it was no surprise that the fortunes of The Owls were being followed. One fan shouted to another: "4-1 our lads, Wednesday!"

Midway through the second half, Dinnington twice went close again. Cartledge first fired at the keeper from six yards and sent the rebound against the left-hand post. Soon after Allott drove across the face of goal and wide of the far right post. Allott got in another shot a few minutes later which was scrambled clear by the visitors.

Having used all three subs, Dinnington were reduced to ten men in the 75th minute. Gary Hibbert was unable to continue after being caught by a stiff challenge from Sherman who saw 'yellow' but home fans demanded a harsher punishment. Play had barely resumed when Sherman got into the Town area and slotted past the helpless keeper to make it 3-0.

Dinnington’s bad luck continued when keeper Toyne had to be helped off following lengthy treatment for what looked like a bad bought of cramp. Allott took over the gloves but hadn’t touched the ball when Jermaine Moyce fired into the bottom left corner in the fifth minute of injury time after good work by Graham Sides.

Dinnington Town (yellow and black stripes / black / black): 1. Mark Toyne, 2, Brad Elam (capt), 3. Matt Smith, 4. Jozef Hutnik, 5. Gary Hibbert, 6. Matt Haigh, 7. Danny Lindley, 8. Simon Mirfin, 9. Gavin Allott, 10. Liam Cartledge, 11. Michael Blythen. Subs: 12. David Frederick (for Haigh, ht), 14. Tom Stubbs (for Smith, 57), 15, Doc Roslin (for Cartledge, 70).

Liversedge (sky blue / navy blue / navy blue): 1. Lee Ashworth, 2. Jon Hague, 3. Dale Wright, 4. Steve Hollingsworth, 5. Darryl Leach (capt), 6. Paul Smith, 7. Dave Boardman, 8. Luke Caulfield, 9. Luke Sherman, 10. Chris Hanley, 11. James Corborough. Subs: 12. Jermaine Moyce (for Caulfield, 68), 14. Graham Sides (for Hague, 70), 15. Craig Sheridan (for Boardman, 70).

Referee: P. I. Thompson.
Assistants: K. Marchant and L. Snodden.

0-1 Steve Hollingsworth (4)
0-2 Luke Sherman (39)
0-3 Luke Sherman (79)
0-4 Jermaine Moyce (90+5)

Cards: Dinnington: Michael Blythen (YC, 84)
Liversedge: Luke Sherman (YC, 75)