Biddulph Victoria 2 Studley 1

Saturday 27th September 2008
Biddulph Victoria 2 Studley 1
Aspire Midland Alliance
At: Tunstall Road
Kick-off: 3-00 pm (delayed until 3-15 pm)
Attendance: 71
Weather: warm and sunny
Duration: first half: 46:04; second half: 48:22

Biddulph recovered from conceding an early goal to earn a third league victory of the season with a late winner. The win, courtesy of goals from Paul Macari and Chris Boast, was one, however, which Mark Bromley didn’t think his side deserved.

“To be honest we didn’t play well enough to deserve a win,” said the joint-manager.

“But then there have been games this season when we have played well enough and got nothing or just a point. On the day we’ll take this, no problem.

“We encourage our lads to push on and close that midfield space.

“They didn’t do it well enough for the first 15 minutes but certainly in the latter part of the second half they got tight and we played our better football.

“They took their two forwards who I think are their two better players.

“We never looked that efficient at the back but as they look off their two best players, so we were effective.”

With the Everall brothers both missing, Bromley and Karl Wilcox gave debuts to Steve Jones and substitute Dean Cox.

Studley suffered a delayed journey up from Worcestershire and, as a result, kick-off was put back 15 minutes. But the visitors showed no ill effects from those motorway hold-ups and took the lead in the 9th minute. Aaron Grey nodded the ball into the path of Steve Ruck who fired into the top corner from 20 yards out.

Biddulph, beaten 3-1 at Studley less than two weeks ago, bounced back with a 16th-minute equaliser. Boast and Shaun Mould were both involved before Macari forced the ball over the line to score for the third consecutive league game.

The goal gave the home side a lift and Steve Grogan turned round a left foot shot from Mould.

A great saving tackle from last defender Ben Clarkson just before the interval denied Studley a clear shooting chance inside the home area.

Phil McGing produced a good save in the 70th minute to beat away a well-struck volley from James Beauchamp.

The winner came in the 81st minute. Mould delivered a deep corner from the left to the far side of the area where Chris Boast sent a looping header dropping just under the bar.

Late in the game, Biddulph should have had the opportunity the put the outcome beyond doubt. Boast clearly impeded by shirt pulling inside the area but the referee saw it differently and waived play on.

The home bench were incensed by the decision though, in the end, it didn’t matter as Vics wound down the clock.

Biddulph now face four consecutive away games starting with a trip to Cradley Town in the league on Tuesday. Then on Saturday, they travel to Shifnal Town in the FA Vase first round with £1000 on offer to the winner.

Biddulph Victoria (sky blue/maroon/maroon): 1. Phil McGing, 2. Neil Edwards, 3. Ben Clarkson, 4. Scott Burge (capt), 5. Darren Vernon, 6. Danny Smith, 7. George Barlow, 8. Chris Boast, 9. Shaun Mould, 10. Paul Macari, 11. Steve Jones. Subs: 12. Rob Opoe (for Barlow, 76), 14. Dean Cox (for Smith, 63), 15. Michael White (not used).

Studley (yellow/blue/yellow): 1. Steven Grogan, 2. Ian Mitchell (capt), 3. James Beauchamp, 4. Craig Hall, 5. Greg Ellard, 6. Aaron Grey, 7. Nigel Haylor, 8. Peter Saunders, 9. Daniel Stubbs, 10. Craig Pountney, 11. Steven Ruck. Subs: 12. Leon Thomas (not used), 14. Damon Gariff (not used), 15. Ashley Buffong (for Pountney, 75), 16. Liam Foxall (for Stubbs, 84), 17. Jack Edwards (not used).

Referee: J. Glover (Nuneaton).
Assistants: A. Leigh and B. Cooke.

0-1 Steven Ruck (9)
1-1 Paul Macari (16)
2-1 Chris Boast (81)

Biddulph: Neil Edwards (YC, 54), Steve Jones (YC, 74)
Studley: Steven Ruck (YC, 53), Greg Ellard (YC, 80), Craig Hall (YC, 90+3)