Kidsgrove Athletic 2 Glapwell 5

Saturday 25th October 2008
Kidsgrove Athletic 2 Glapwell 5
Unibond League Division 1 South
At: Seddon Stadium
Kick-off: 3-00 pm
Admission: press pass; Programme: yes
Attendance: 122
Weather: dry, mild
Duration: first-half: 48:47 ; second-half: 46:57

Kidsgrove paid the price for not making more a good first-half performance as visitors Glapwell hit back with five goals after the break.

Peter Ward’s side got off to a perfect start with Andy Hurst’s early strike but failed to increase their lead before the interval despite enjoying plenty of possession.

The visitors came out a changed side for the second half scoring three goals without reply, including a header from former Stafford Rangers striker Neil Grayson, before two refereeing decisions arguably played a part in the final outcome.

The referee only booked defender Aaron Shelley for deliberate handball in front of goal and Dave Shaw missed the resulting penalty.

Then after defender Tom Schwartz halved the deficit, Grove keeper Adam Wilkes was sent off for a foul when Kidsgrove were pressing hard for an equaliser. Glapwell then added two more goals to their haul against ten men in the final minutes.

“The first decision came at a critical stage,” said manager Ward.

“It was deliberate hand ball and the referee has given a penalty but not sent off the player.

“Regarding the goalkeeper, I think he (Wilkes) deserved to be sent off as he left his foot in.”

Ward felt his side should have turned their first-half performance into more than one goal.

“I was a little disappointed at half-time that we didn’t go three up.

“Andy Hurst worked hard for the goal. The defender slipped, he has had to ride a tackle and put the ball away.

“We fully deserved the 1-0 lead but I felt the game should have been over and done with at half-time.

“We’ve come out in the second half and not passed the ball or played and just lumped it up front. That is not the way we play.

“When we went to 3-2, we started playing a bit and were on the ascendency and then Adam Wilkes gets sent off.

Ward gave a debut to midfielder Adam Beasley.

“Adam is on loan for a month and he has come from Nantwich. I thought he was a good asset to have in the side.”

Hurst’s opener came after just eight minutes when he took full advantage of a slip by defender Steve Kennedy.

Aiden Matranga forced a fine diving save out of Neil West as Kidgrove looked to quickly extend their advantage.

Tim Sanders then twice got into good positions on the right inside area, only to fire over on each occasion.

Just before the interval, skipper Danny Smith made a vital clearance when Grove were caught short of defenders at the back and Wilkes also beat away a free-kick from Michael Fox.

The visitors went on the attack up the slope after the restart scoring three goals without reply from Fox in the 51st minute, Grayson eleven minutes later and Pat McGuire in the 71st minute

Then came the decision in the 75th minute not to send off Glapwell defender Shelley for deliberate handball and Shaw fired the penalty against the left-hand post.

Defender Schwartz got his side back into contention two minutes later, blasting a drive through the crowded area to score his first goal since arriving from Walsall.

Kidsgrove almost got an equaliser when West made a brave block to keep out a well-struck shot from Matranga.

Wilkes was dismissed in the 87th minute when he caught Ian Brown inside the area as both went for a throughball into the area.

Charlie Reeves went in goal and was sent the wrong way from the penalty that followed, converted by Fox.

And to make matter worse, Brown again got clear in the 89th minute and this time slotted with ease past the helpless Reeves.

Kidsgrove Athletic (blue/blue/blue): 1. Adam Wilkes, 2. Danny Smith (capt), 3. Craig Dove, 4. Tom Schwartz, 5. Cahrlie Reeves, 6. Karl Miller, 7. Aiden Matranga, 9. Dave Shaw, 10. Andy Hurst, 11. Tim Sanders. Subs: 12. Andy Matthews (for Miller, 67), 14. Tom Moss (not used), 15. Mitch Shenton (not used), 16. Ricky Bridge (for Sanders, 85).

Glapwell (yellow/yellow/yellow): 1. Neil West, 2. Craig Robinson, 3. Simon Wright, 4. Matt Varley, 5. Steve Kennedy, 6. Aaron Shelley, 7. Pat McGuire, 8. Mark Wilson, 9. Neil Grayson (capt), 10. Ian Brown, 11. Michael Fox. Subs: 12. Justin Burdett (for Kennedy, 40), 14. Jake Williams (for Grayson, 84), 15. Dave Rimington (for Wilson, 77), 16. Dave Davies (not used), GK. Lawrence Matthewson (not used).

Referee: Chris Byrne.
Assistants: R Andrew and P Adamson.

1-0 Andy Hurst (8)
1-1 Michael Fox (51)
1-2 Neil Grayson (62)
1-3 Pat McGuire (71)
2-3 Tom Schwartz (78)
2-4 Michael Fox (88)
2-5 Ian Brown (90)

Kidsgrove: Adam Wilkes (87, RC)
Glapwell: Craig Robinson (YC, 21), Mark Wilson (YC, 53), Aaron Shelley (YC, 75)