Hednesford Town 4 Burscough 0

Tuesday 27th September 2011
Hednesford Town 4 Burscough 0
Evo-Stik League Premier Division
At: Keys Park
Kick-off: 7-45 pm
Admission: £10 (seat); Programme: £2 (44 pages)
Attendance: 451
Weather: mild, dry, clear sky
Duration: first-half: 46:03; second-half: 48:06

Back to midweek action for me after a two-week break and a short 15.6 miles round trip across Cannock Chase to Keys Park. Promotion-chasing Hednesford have an impressive unbeaten home record and never really looked like losing to bottom side Burscough. The Pitmen could have won with a bigger margin if they hadn’t eased off but allowed the visitors to create (and fail to convert) plenty of chances.

I like Keys Park as a venue; easy to find, easy to park, decent view from the stand, plenty to read in the programme, club shop, easy to obtain the line-ups, etc.

Looking at the league table, Hednesford (23 points from 11 games) occupied fifth position in the table, six points behind leaders Northwich Victoria on the same number of games. In contrast, Burscough (4 points from 11 games) were rooted to the foot of the table in 22nd and last position.

Burscough (green shirts, green shorts and green and white hopped socks) got the game underway attacking the Heath Hayes End, left to right in relation to my seat in the main stand. Managed by former Stafford Rangers defender Derek Goulding, they made a bright start and missed a couple of early scoring opportunities.

A couple of fans sat behind me in the stand started to reminisce about Hednesford in the FA Trophy Final and though Burscough were the opposition at Villa Park when the Pitmen won. In my mind I didn’t disagree though actually Hednesford beat Canvey Island in the 2004 final with Burscough winning the previous year.

Hednesford ( in all white), however, soon got going and took the lead in the 13th minute. Chris Clements delivered a delicious left-wing corner which Marvin Robinson headed home.

Totally unmarked Mark Beesley should have equalised when put clear by Adam Farley. But the striker slipped his shot wide of the target with just Dan Crane to beat.

Jamey Osborne doubled Hednesford’s lead in the 26th minute. He hammered home a rebound after Clements’s initial shot had been blocked by a defender.

Now well on top, Clements scored the third goal in the 37th minute, curling a free-kick expertly around the wall and into the corner of the net.

Hednesford continued to create chances before and after the interval, and it was no surprise when their fourth goal went in on the hour. Ex-Stafford Rangers striker Nick Wellecomme took advantage of a slip by defender James Connolly and fired home from 15 yards out.

With the points in the bag and the unbeaten home run extended, Hednesford allowed Burscough back into the game during the last 20 minutes and perhaps should have got on the scoresheet. Martin Crowder fired a long-range free-kick against the bar.

Man of the match was Hednesford keeper Dan Crane.

1-0 Marvin Robinson (13)
2-0 Jamey Osborne (26)
3-0 Chris Clements (37)
4-0 Nick Wellecomme (60)