Stafford Rangers Res 0 Burton Albion Res 2

Monday 19th December 2005
Stafford Rangers Reserves 0 Burton Albion Reserves 2
Central Conference
At: Marston Road
Kick-off: 7-45 pm
Programme: teamsheet
Attendance: 58
Weather: cold, dry, freezing
Duration: first-half: 46:30; second-half: 45:16

Both Phil Robinson and Nigel Clough, respective first-team managers of Stafford and Burton, played some part of this pre-Christmas reserve team fixture which the Brewers won with goals scored in quick succession either side of the interval.

Stafford got the game underway attacking the Town End and, despite play being open, neither goalkeeper was tested during the opening quarter hour. Rangers then won a left-wing corner delivered by Alex Gibbons which Liam Murray met with a glancing header that Nigel Clough cleared off the line.

Matt Sargeant produced a decent save in the 20th minute to tip over a rising shot from Eric Graves. The Stafford goalkeeper was tested again after the interval approached when he turned round a close-range shot from Dave Anderson.

Burton, who had been on top, took the lead in first-half stoppage time. John Brayford headed home a right-wing cross at close range.

The visitors doubled their lead less than three minutes after the restart. Anderson played the ball into the path of Alex Britton down the right who shot towards goal. However, the unfortunate Alex Gibson hammered an attempted clearance into his own net.

After Murray saw another header cleared off the line, Burton were awarded a 61st minute penalty for a foul by Gibbons on Oliver Hancock. Anderson stepped up to hit the spot kick towards the right-hand corner only to see Sargeant pull off a diving save.

A couple of further saves from Sargeant prevent Burton from scoring again and the closest Stafford came to a consolation goal was a late shot from Dave Walker fired straight at goalkeeper Tom Gutteridge.

Stafford Rangers Reserves (black and white stripes / black / black): 1. Matt Sargeant, 2. Alex Gibson, 3. Liam Murray, 4. Alex Gibbons, 5. Jemiah Richards, 6. Ed Booth, 17. Lee Downes (capt), 8. Phil Robinson, 9. Richard Haynes, 10. Dave Walker, 11. Danny Edwards. Subs: 12. Josh Robinson (for Downes, 82), 14. Dan Holgate (not used), 15. Richard Miller (not used), 16. Andre Francis (for Gibbons, 68), 18. Ross Clarke (for Robinson, 49).

Burton Albion Reserves (blue/blue/blue): 1. Tom Gutteridge, 2. John Brayford, 3. Nigel Clough, 4. Neil Edwards, 5. Lee Stafford (capt), 6. Lee Ayres, 7. Alex Britton, 8. Oliver Hancock, 9. Dave Anderson, 10. Andy Ducros, 11. Eric Graves. Subs: 12. Karl Wayte (for Anderson, 63), 14. Tom Liversage (for Ducros, 73), 15. Callum Green (not used), 16. Chris Maxwell (not used), 17. Calvin Smith (for Clough, 70).

Referee: Terry Holbrook.
Assistants: J. Holdcroft and P. Hussey.

0-1 John Brayford (45+1)
0-2 Alex Gibson (48 og)

Cards: none.