Congleton Town 1 Colne 3

Saturday 8th November 2008
Congleton Town 1 Colne 3
Vodkat League Cup Second Round
At: Booth Street
Kick-off: 3-00 pm
Admission: press pass; Programme: £1-20p
Attendance: 93
Weather: mild, dry
Duration: first-half: 48:45; second-half: 46:23

Congleton Town were made to pay for a below-par performance as they suffered a surprise defeat against Colne at Booth Street.

Just as they did against Glossop last Saturday, the Bears conceded a two-goal half-time lead before fighting back in the second half. This time, substitute Darren Twigg reduced the deficit just after the hour mark before Colne were gifted a vital third goal.

The arrival of Twigg at as half-time substitute gave a much needed presence in the Congleton attack and Buckle felt his joint-manager provided an example for others to follow.

While not playing well, Congleton created the bulk of the first-half chances without forcing a serious save out of Colne’s James Mann.

The visitors, a lowly 17th in the Premier Division table, stunned home fans by taking the lead in the 39th minute. Liam Garbutt got on end of a long clearance over the Congleton defence and headed past the advancing Rob Hackney.

Garbutt sufficiently recovered from the effects of colliding with the Congleton keeper to score a vital second goal for his side in stoppage time. He scored at the second attempt after his initial shot was blocked by Hackney.

Goal hero Garbutt didn’t emerge for the second half and Congleton also replaced Chris Smith with Twigg at the interval.

James Marrow should have scored a minute after the restart, firing wide from in front of goal after good work by Carl Nesbitt.

Just before the hour mark at the other end, Nesbitt cleared off the line from Jamie Longley after Hackney failed to collect a dangerous corner from the right.

The Bears got back in contention in the 64th minute as they turned improvement into a goal. The assistant referee gave a goal after Twigg’s close range shot was cleared off the line.

Congleton should have gone on to at least force extra time but they were punished for a lapse at the back as Colne restored their two-goal advantage in the 73rd minute.

Unnoticed and unmarked Longley came back from an offside position to receive Steve Hall’s throughball and slotted past Hackney from inside the area.

Simon Robinson was inches away from immediate response, sending a 30-yard drive flashing just wide with Mann diving at full stretch.

Congleton continued to press and threw bodies forward, including Wayne Brotherton as an extra attacker, but couldn’t make inroads into Colne’s lead.

Congleton Town (black and white stripes / blakc / black) : 1. Rob Hackney, 2. Adam Vickers, 3. Andy Bostock, 4. Wayne Brotherton, 5. Mark Fitton, 6. Carl Nesbitt (capt), 7. Ryan Baker, 8. Simon Robinson, 9. James Marrow, 10. Chris Smith, 11. Stuart Tulloch. Subs: 12. Steve Millington (for Tulloch, 86), 14. Ryan Greene (for Vickers, 77), 15. Graham Molloy, 16. Darren Twigg (for Smith, ht), 17. Anthony Buckle.

Colne (red/red/red): 1. James Mann, 2. Danny Craig, 3. Andy Hargreaves, 4. Stephen Throup, 5. Ben Howarth, 6. Michael Cruz (capt), 7. Ted Crockett, 8. Steve Hall, 9. Jamie Longley, 10. Liam Garbutt, 11. James Crorken. Subs: 12. Tom Calvey, 14. Ben Housley (for Garbutt, ht), 15. Andy Pickard, 16. Nigel Coates.

Referee: P Norris.

0-1 Liam Garbutt (39)
0-2 Liam Garbutt (45+2)
1-2 Darren Twigg (64)
1-3 Jamie Longley (73)

Congleton: Adam Vickers (YC, 45+2), Wayne Brotherton (YC, 90+1)
Colne: Danny Craig (YC, 50), James Crorken (YC, 71), Michael Cruz (YC, 77), Steve Hall (YC, 79)