Newcastle Town 1 Glossop North End 4

Tuesday 25th November 2008
Newcastle Town 1 Glossop North End 4
Vodkat League Premier Division
At: Lyme Valley Stadium
Kick-off: 7-45 pm
Programme: £1-50 (32 pages)
Attendance: 64
Weather: freezing, dry
Duration: first-half: 47:21; second-half: 46:52

It got the call earlier today to cover this one, which Newcastle needed to win by two clear goals to replace AFC Fylde at the top of the Premier Divsion. But in freezing temperatures, Glossop, themselves in fifth position, inflicted a heavy defeat on Castle to enhance their own hopes of catching the Fylde side.

As I swithed off the engine in the car park, the thermometer read -1 and inside the ground the pitch was looking a bit on the white side. It was ever a time for a pre-match coffee then this was the time - but I was still cold!

With Secretary Ray alongside me in the Press Box, Newcastle (blue shirts, blue shorts, white socks) got the game underway attacking the south end and took the lead in the 4th minute. Neville Thompson, once of Stafford Rangers, slotted home at close range after the Glossop defence failed to deal with Ian Willis' free-kick pumped forward into the area.

Newcastle looked comfortable until slack marking allowed the visitors to level things up just before the half hour. Unchallenged Martin Parker powered a 10-yard header past Danny Read direct from a left-wing corner.

Tom Bailey put Glossop (wearing all yellow) in front shortly before the interval, beating Read with a deflected 20-yard free-kick.

Poor defending allowed Glossop to further extend their lead in the 53rd minute through Hind. The visitors well and truly put the outcome beyond doubt five minutes later. Parker got clear, rounded Read and slotted into an unguarded net from a narrow angle. It was all over for Newcastle and any hopes of an abandonment went as well with the pitch reverting back from white to a normal shade of green.

Newcastle played some decent football in the closing stages when it was too late. Gillick had the ball in the Glossop net, only to be thwarted by a raised offside flag.

Newcastle Town (blue/blue/white): 1. Danny Read, 2. Ian Willis, 3. Dean Gillick, 4. Steve Elks (capt), 5. Karl Espley, 6. Steve Smith, 7. Alastair Brown , 8. Daryl Wilkes, 9. Andy Kinsey, 10. Neville Thompson, 11. Richard Minor. Subs: 12. Chris Budrys (for Thompson, 60), 14. Ashley Hill (for Smith, 57), 15. Paul Macari (for Minor, 64), 16. Ryan Dicker (not used), 17. Jordan Johnson (not used).

Glossop North End (yellow/yellow/yellow): 1. Ashlea Gotham, 2. Nick Allen, 3. Kelvin Lugsden (capt), 4. Matt Murray, 5. Jamie Lester, 6. Jason Gordon, 7. Tom Bailey, 8. David Morris, 9. Martin Parker, 10. Sam Hind, 11. Rick Whelan. Subs: 12. Darren Hamilton (for Whelan, 63), 14. Neil O’Brian (not used), 15. Tom Nadine (for Bailey, 78).

Referee: J. D. Stokes (Wirral).
Assistants: R. Abson (Chester) and D. Hitchell (Prenton).

1-0 Neville Thompson (4)
1-1 Martin Parker (29)
1-2 Tom Bailey (45)
1-3 Sam Hind (53)
1-4 Martin Parker (58)

Newcastle: none
Glossop: none